Join us at “100 Years for Birds” Audubon Society of Greater Denver event at the Audubon Center at Chatfield, August 28 for the Gunny Sage-grouse Roadshow!
Currently, we have an ongoing campaign to ask the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) to designate two critical habitats for the threatened Gunnison sage-grouse as Areas of Critical Environmental Concern (ACECs). This action will protect 37,000 acres of the most important habitat for two small and incredibly vulnerable populations of this unique bird in Southwest Colorado. By attending the event and taking action, you will help to ensure that future generations have the opportunity to enjoy watching the Gunnison sage-grouse dance at sunrise, and benefit all of the other species that call this area home!
Audubon Center at Chatfield
11280 S Waterton Rd, Littleton, CO 80125
Sunday, August 28, 10 am-12 pm
This stop for the Gunny Sage-grouse Roadshow is during Audubon Society of Greater Denver’s event “100 Years for Birds”!
Join the Audubon Society of Greater Denver to celebrate 100 Years for Birds. Three of the raptor ambassadors from Nature’s Educators will be present, including the only osprey used for educational outreach in the state of Colorado. August 16th marks the Centennial anniversary of the Migratory Bird Treaty signed between the United States and Great Britain in the year 1916 which has protected many bird species in the United States from extinction. This event will leave you feeling inspired, excited, and motivated to help the birds in Denver and beyond!
Fun and educational activities will include a rubber duck scavenger hunt through the Audubon Nature Center trails (prizes available!), migration madness game, and birding hikes for all ages and skill levels led by Audubon naturalist and master birder volunteers.
Know a child or teenager who is curious about birds? We invite them to participate in our Youth Birding Summit, a focus group designed to gather ideas from Front Range youth birders after the live raptor demonstration.
Adult members: $8; Adult non-members: $11; Kids/Teen members (ages 8-18): $5; Kids/Teen non-members: $8.
What’s happening at the Roadshow?
- We’ll have pre-addressed postcards to mail to the decision-makers at the BLM Tres Rios Field Office. You can use them to fill out your specific message, and we’ll send them for you!
- Take your picture with a larger-than-life Gunnison sage-grouse and send it to the BLM Tres Rios Field Office with a message about why you #StandWithGunny.
- For the kids, we’ll have Gunnison sage-grouse coloring page – they can color their Gunny, sign their name, and send it to the BLM Tres Rios Field Office. We’ll also post their artwork on our Rocky Mountain Wild Pinterest page!
- We’ll also have some information about the importance of all these actions, including: video of their famous mating dances and fact sheets about the species, habitat, and campaign.
How else can I help?
- We’re always looking for volunteers to be online ambassadors, spreading the word about this campaign. If you would like to become an online ambassador, email Chris.
- We are also looking for other locations for the Roadshow. If you know of a business or unoccupied space we could rent for a night, email Chris.
- We are also looking for volunteers to help staff Roadshows. If you would like to volunteer for a night to help explain actions or direct people to participate, email Chris.
- We have our #StandWithGunny page with other actions you could take on your own to help influence the BLM in this important decision. Visit our page for all the actions.