Join us at the Banff Mountain Film Festival for the Gunny Sage-grouse Roadshow!
Currently, we have an ongoing campaign to ask the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) to protect critical habitat for Gunnison sage-grouse in their Resource Management Planning Process. These actions will protect more than 93,834 acres of the most important habitat for six small and incredibly vulnerable populations of Gunnison sage-grouse in Southwest Colorado. Protecting these sub-populations will help preserve the genetic diversity of the species, and safeguard against catastrophic events that could wipe out the whole species.
By taking action, you will help to ensure that future generations have the opportunity to enjoy watching the Gunnison sage-grouse dance at sunrise, and benefit all of the other species including antelope, songbirds, owls, and coyotes, that call this area home. Go ahead – give Gunny something to dance about!
Banff Mountain Film Festival
Community Concert Hall at FLC, 1000 Rim Dr, Durango, CO 81301
Saturday, March 11, 2017, 6 pm reception, films 7-9 pm
This stop for the Gunny Sage-grouse Roadshow is during the Rocky Mountain Wild and San Juan Citizens Alliance event Banff Mountain Film Festival.
The event will showcase outstanding adventure, environmental, exploration, and mountain culture films from around the world.
What’s happening at the Roadshow?
- We’ll have pre-addressed postcards to mail to the decision-makers at the BLM Tres Rios Field Office. You can use them to fill out your specific message, and we’ll send them for you!
- Take your picture with a larger-than-life Gunnison sage-grouse and send it to the BLM Tres Rios Field Office with a message about why you #StandWithGunny.
- For the kids, we’ll have Gunnison sage-grouse coloring page – they can color their Gunny, sign their name, and send it to the BLM Tres Rios Field Office. We’ll also post their artwork on our Rocky Mountain Wild Pinterest page!
- We’ll also have some information about the importance of all these actions, including: video of their famous mating dances and fact sheets about the species, habitat, and campaign.
How else can I help?
- We’re always looking for volunteers to be online ambassadors, spreading the word about this campaign. If you would like to become an online ambassador, email Chris.
- We are also looking for other locations for the Roadshow. If you know of a business or unoccupied space we could rent for a night, email Chris.
- We are also looking for volunteers to help staff Roadshows. If you would like to volunteer for a night to help explain actions or direct people to participate, email Chris.
- We have our #StandWithGunny page with other actions you could take on your own to help influence the BLM in this important decision. Visit our page for all the actions.