Eastern Colorado RMP Public Meetings
The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) is updating the Resource Management Plan for Eastern Colorado. This plan defines describes broad multiple-use guidance for managing lands and federal mineral estate administered by the BLM. Attend these public meetings to learn more about this plan, where they are in the process, and how you can engage.
- Denver: Thursday, July 18, 5:30 – 7:30 PM, Denver Marriott West, Monart Room, 1717 Denver West Blvd., Golden, CO 80401
- Colorado Springs: Monday, July 22, 5:30 – 7:30 PM, Westside Community Center, 1628 W. Bijou Street, Colorado Springs, CO 80904
- Greeley: Tuesday, July 23, 5:30 – 7:30 PM, Greeley Recreation Center, Room 101 ABC, 651 10th Ave, Greeley, CO 80631 *Oil and Gas Leasing and Development Focus*
- Meet the people who manage our public lands and let them know you care about biodiversity.
- The BLM identified over 190,000 acres of wilderness quality land in the Royal Gorge Field Office in Eastern Colorado. Their Preferred Alternative proposes managing less than 1,350 acres to maintain wilderness quality. This is less than 1% of the lands identified.
- These Lands with Wilderness Characteristics (LWCs) include the magnificent landscapes along the Arkansas River as it flows from its headwaters near Leadville, through the Arkansas River Valley, and through the canyons between Salida and Cañon City.
- These unprotected wilderness quality lands include low elevation habitat crucial for bighorn sheep, elk, and numerous plants and animals that rely on these ecosystems.
- Let the BLM know that protecting wilderness quality lands is the most important thing they can do to prevent extinction, maintain biodiversity, and keep Colorado resilient in the face of a changing climate.
- Hold the BLM accountable to listen to and follow public input. They must protect public lands the way the public tells them to, not according to a short-sighted agenda set by bureaucrats in Washington D.C.
How to Learn More
- Read this article “BLM’s Eastern Colorado Draft Resource Management Plan ignores public input, fails to protect critical wildlife habitat and favorite outdoor recreation spots” from Wild Connections on Medium.
- Read this Fact Sheet prepared by Wild Connections for information and talking points.
- Watch the video and read about some amazing BLM lands in Eastern Colorado in the article Protecting #BLMWild Places in Eastern Colorado.
- Play with the the Online Story Map created by the BLM.
- Read the latest issue of BLM’s From Peaks to Plains Newsletter of the Eastern Colorado RMP.
- Learn more about submitting comments that stick, check out our checklist (en Español).
- Dig into BLM’s documents and reports on the BLM Eastern Colorado Resource Management Plan Website.