The Oil & Gas Lease Sales map below shows parcels proposed to be offered for lease by the Bureau of Land Management. This interactive map shows current and upcoming lease sales and their conflicts with wildlife and natural areas. More information on upcoming leases is shown below the map.
Advice on how to use the map: Zoom in to see conservation conflicts. Click on parcels or conservation conflict areas for more information. Scroll through pop-ups for multiple overlapping areas by clicking on the right triangle/arrow.
July 30, 2019 Lease Sale
Scoping (posted 1/30/2019)
- Comments are due Friday, February 15. Information on how to comment and a link to an electronic comment form are available on the Montana/Dakotas 2019 July Oil and Gas Lease Sale ePlanning website (click on Home on the left panel for instructions and click on Documents for the comment link) Additional information is available in the Press Release and general information is available on the Montana-Dakotas BLM Oil and Gas Leasing website.
- According to the Press Release, Documents and GIS Data, BLM is proposing to offer 38 parcels/ 12,275 acres with 19 parcels/ 10,484 acres in Montana and the rest in North Dakota. The proposed parcels are located in Musselshell, Blaine, Rosebud, Powder River, and Petroleum counties in Montana.
- Conservation conflicts identified include parcels in greater sage-grouse habitat including priority habitat.
- Lease Sale Parcels Scoping (includes North Dakota): Google Earth kmz | Zipped shapefile
- Scoping ABI Screen (Montana Only), a spreadsheet showing conflicts between the proposed parcels and important wildlife, wilderness and other resource values.
March 25 – 27, 2019 Lease Sale
Sale Notice (posted 1/31/2019)
- Protests are due by close of business Monday, March 4, 2019. Information about the proposed sale and important information about how to protest is available in the Lease Sale Notice (pdf format). More information is available on the the March 2019 Competitive Oil and Gas Lease e-planning website and in the Press Release. General information about leasing is available on the BLM Montana Oil and Gas Lease Sale webpage.
- According to the Sale Notice (page 184), Montana/Dakotas BLM is proposing to offer 305 parcels/166,999 acres with 302 parcels/166,599 acres in Montana and the rest in South Dakota. In Montana, parcels are proposed in the Billings (12 parcels/6,910 acres), Glasgow (9 parcels/69,170 acres), Havre (10 parcels, 7,820 acres), and Miles City (271 parcels/142,659 acres) Field Offices.
- Conflicts identified include overlaps with:
- Kevin Rim Area of Critical Environmental Concern
- Greater sage-grouse priority, general and other habitat management areas
- Piping plover critical habitat
- Parcels adjacent to Private Conservation Land
- Proposed parcels (Montana and South Dakota): Google Earth (kmz) | GIS (zipped shapefile)
- ABI Screen (Montana only), a spreadsheet showing conflicts between the proposed parcels and important wildlife, wilderness and other resource values.
- Montana Existing Oil and Gas Leases updated 12/11/2018: Google Earth kmz | zipped Shapefile (red=Held by Production; purple=Not Held by Production)
- BLM Montana Oil & Gas Leasing Webpage
- Archive of Montana Oil & Gas Lease Sale Screens
- Rocky Mountain Wild Oil and Gas Toolbox for Activists
- Rocky Mountain Wild Lease Sale Calendar
- Information on the Assessment of Biological Impact (ABI) Screen