The Oil & Gas Lease Sales map below shows parcels proposed to be offered for lease by the Bureau of Land Management. This interactive map shows current and upcoming lease sales and their conflicts with wildlife and natural areas. More information on upcoming leases is shown below the map.
Advice on how to use the map: Zoom in to see conservation conflicts. Click on parcels or conservation conflict areas for more information. Scroll through pop-ups for multiple overlapping areas by clicking on the right triangle/arrow.
Week of June 24, 2019 Lease Sale
Environmental Assessment Comment Period (posted 3/12/2019)
- The comment period ends March 26, 2019. Information about the sale and comment period is available in the Press Release. Comments must be submitted through the June 2019 Oil and Gas Lease Sale Environmental Assessment ePlanning website. Maps and additional information about the sale is available on the June 2019 Oil and Gas Lease Sale ePlanning website with additional information on the BLM Colorado Oil and Gas Leasing webpage.
- According to the press release, BLM Colorado is proposing to offer 12 parcels/4,804 acres. All of the parcels are in the Royal Gorge Field Office. The parcels are in Kiowa, Lincoln, and Weld counties.
- Significant conservation concerns include:
- Bald eagle roost sites including winter night roost sites.
- Areas Colorado Parks and Wildlife have determined are highly likely to contain black-tailed prairie dog colonies.
- Overlaps with the Central Shortgrass Potential Conservation Area (PCA) with high biodiversity significance. PCAs are identified by the Colorado Natural Heritage Program.
- Overlap with overall range for Preble’s meadow jumping mouse.
- Important winter habitat for mule deer and pronghorn.
- Lease sale parcels EA Comment Period: Google Earth (kmz) | Zipped shapefile.
- Lease sale EA Comment period ABI Screen, a spreadsheet showing conflicts between the proposed parcels and important wildlife, wilderness and other resource values.
March 28, 2019 Lease Sale
Lease Sale Notice (posted 2/12/2019)
- Protests are due by 4:30 pm Friday, February 22, 2019. Important information on how to protest is available in the Sale Notice (page 9) with a corrected Fax Number in Addendum 1. More information is available on the March 2019 Oil and Gas Lease Sale ePlanning website with additional information on the BLM Colorado Oil and Gas Leasing webpage and in the Press Release.
- According to the Press Release and Sale Notice, CO BLM is proposing to offer 6 parcels/1,091.57 acres in the Royal Gorge, White River, and Kremmling Field Offices with parcels in Baca, Fremont, Rio Blanco, and Jackson Counties.
- Significant conservation conflict overlaps for rare and sensitive species include:
- Important habitat for lesser prairie chicken and Mexican spotted owl.
- Near release sites for black-footed ferrets.
- Recorded occurrences of several rare plant and plant communities.
- Important winter habitat for bighorn sheep and mule deer.
- Significant conservation conflict overlaps for important natural places include:
- Lands identified by Conservation Organizations as having wilderness characteristics (Grand Canyon Hills)
- Areas identified by the Colorado Natural Heritage Program as Potential Conservation Areas (Cimaron River at High Plains and Grape Creek)
- Parcel adjacent to a Colorado State Wildlife Area Parcel adjacent to the Grape Creek Area of Critical Environmental Concern (ACEC)
- Parcel adjacent to the Temple Canyon Park near Cañon City
- Parcel within the North Park Master Leasing Plan (MPL) area
- Parcel within 1/4 mile of the human-powered recreational footprint identified by Outdoor Alliance
- Lease sale parcels Sale Notice: Google Earth (kmz) | Zipped shapefile.
- ABI Screen, a spreadsheet showing conflicts between the proposed parcels and important wildlife, wilderness and other resource values.
- Colorado Existing Oil and Gas Leases updated 12/18/2018: Google Earth kmz | zipped shapefile (red=Held by Production; purple=Not Held by Production)
- BLM Colorado Oil & Gas Leasing Webpage
- Poster Map of Oil and Gas Development in Colorado
- Archive of Colorado Oil & Gas Lease Sale Screens
- Rocky Mountain Wild Oil and Gas Toolbox for Activists
- Rocky Mountain Wild Lease Sale Calendar
- Information on the Assessment of Biological Impact (ABI) Screen