The Oil & Gas Lease Sales map below shows parcels proposed to be offered for lease by the Bureau of Land Management. This interactive map shows current and upcoming lease sales and their conflicts with wildlife and natural areas. More information on upcoming leases is shown below the map.
Advice on how to use the map: Zoom in to see conservation conflicts. Click on parcels or conservation conflict areas for more information. Scroll through pop-ups for multiple overlapping areas by clicking on the right triangle/arrow.
BLM Redesigned their ePlanning Website in early June 2020. Some links below may no longer work. Visit the on the BLM Colorado Oil and Gas Lease Sales website site for new links.
December 17, 2020 Lease Sale
Environmental Assessments (posted 8/14/2020)
- Comments on the Environmental Assessments for the December 17, 2020 oil and gas lease sale must be received by Monday, September 14, 2020. Comments must be submitted through the Participate Now! links on the Royal Gorge Field Office (Eastern Colorado) December 2020 Oil and Gas Lease Sale ePlanning Website and the Northwest Colorado District December 2020 Oil and Gas Lease Sale ePlanning Website. Additional information about the sale can be found on the December 2020 Oil and Gas Lease Sale ePlanning Website and on the BLM Colorado Oil and Gas Lease Sales website.
- According to the Press Release and documents, BLM Colorado is proposing to offer 43 parcels/47,685.440 acres in Jackson, Moffat, Las Animas, and Weld counties in the Royal Gorge, Kremmling, and White River field offices. 25 parcels/33,977.73 acres are in the Royal Gorge Field Office, 16 parcels/11,747.08 acres in the Kremmling Field Office, and 2 parcels/1,960.63 acres are in the Little Snake Field Office.
- The parcels are identical to the parcels presented at the Scoping phase.
- Significant conservation conflicts include:
- North Park Natural Area Area of Critical Environmental Concern
- State Wildlife Areas
- Occurrences of the North Park Phacelia (Phacelia formosula) plant that is listed as Endangered by the Endangered Species Act
- Priority habitat for greater sage-grouse
- Occurrences white-tailed prairie dogs (Cynomys leucurus)
- Important habitat for bald eagles
- Potential Conservation Areas identified by the Colorado Natural Heritage Program: Case Reservoir Bluffs (B2), Gotera Rincon (B2), Luning Promontory (B2), North Park Natural Area (B1), Purgatoire Canyon (B2), and Purgatoire Prairie (B2)
- High priority winter habitat for elk, mule deer, and pronghorn
- Migration corridors for pronghorn
- North Park Master Leasing Plan Area
- Parcels adjacent to the Arapaho National Wildlife Refuge
- Overlaps with the Santa Fe Historic Trail
- Human-powered Recreation Footprint 1/4-mile buffer as identified by Outdoor Alliance
- Lease Sale Parcels EA: GIS Data (zipped shapefile) | Google Earth (kmz)
- Lease sale EA comment period ABI Screen, a spreadsheet showing conflicts between the proposed parcels and important wildlife, wilderness and other resource values.
September 24, 2020 Lease Sale
Sale Notice (posted 7/24/2020)
- Protests for the September 24, 2020 lease sale must be received by 4:00 PM MT Monday, August 24, 2020. There is important information about how to protest in the Sale Notice (pdf file) on page 10. Additional documents about the sale and a link to to protest electronically are available on the September 2020 Lease Sale ePlanning Website. More information is available on the BLM Colorado Oil and Gas Lease Sales website.
- According to the Sale Notice, BLM Colorado is planning to offer 59 parcels/71,975.290 acres. These parcels are in the Kremmling, Little Snake, Royal Gorge and White River Field Offices in Jackson, Kiowa, Las Animas, Lincoln, Moffat, Rio Blanco, and Weld Counties. The majority (40 parcels/65,364.72 acres) are in Las Animas county.
- The proposed parcels consist of parcels that were originally scheduled to be sold in June along with parcels analyzed for the September sale.
- One parcel that was originally in the proposed action in the September Sale EA for Northwest Colorado has been deferred. That parcel was in Jackson County.
- Significant conservation conflict overlaps for rare and sensitive species include:
- Greater sage-grouse including priority habitat management areas
- Important habitat for bald eagle and ferruginous hawk
- Overall range for Preble’s meadow jumping mouse (Zapus hudsonius preblei).
- Surveyed occurrences of black-tailed prairie dog, gray vireo (bird), and swift fox.
- Surveyed occurrence of ephedra buckwheat (Eriogonum ephedroides), Graham’s beardtongue (Penstemon grahamii), Texas greasebush (Forsellesia planitierum), and White-River penstemon (Penstemon scariosus var. albifluvis)
- Proposed critical habitat for Graham’s beardtongue (Penstemon grahamii) and White-River penstemon (Penstemon scariosus var. albifluvis)
- High priority winter habitat for bighorn sheep, mule deer, and pronghorn antelope
- Production (calving/lambing) area for bighorn sheep and elk
- Significant conservation conflict overlaps for important places include:
- Colorado State Wildlife Areas
- Lands Identified by BLM as having Wilderness Characteristics (Gilsonite Hills LWC)
- Potential Conservation Area identified by the Colorado Natural Heritage Program including Central Shortgrass, Big Spring and Big Arroyo Hills, Luning Promontory, Poitrey Hills, Purgatoire Canyon, and Purgatoire Prairie with Very High Biodiversity Significance
- North Park Master Leasing Plan Area
- Santa Fe Historic Trail
- Lease sale parcels sale notice: Google Earth (kmz) | GIS Shapefile (zipped)
- Lease sale notice ABI Screen, a spreadsheet showing conflicts between the proposed parcels and important wildlife, wilderness and other resource values.
June 25, 2020 Lease Sale
According to the BLM Colorado Oil and Gas Lease Sales website, The oil and gas lease sale scheduled for June 25, 2020 has been postponed. The parcels are scheduled to be offered as part of the September sale (as of 7/23).
- Colorado Existing Oil and Gas Leases updated 4/28/2020: Google Earth kmz | zipped shapefile (red=Held by Production; purple=Not Held by Production)
- BLM Colorado Oil & Gas Leasing Webpage
- Poster Map of Oil and Gas Development in Colorado
- Upcoming Lease Sale Tracker
- Archive of Colorado Oil & Gas Lease Sale Screens
- Rocky Mountain Wild Oil and Gas Toolbox for Activists
- Rocky Mountain Wild Lease Sale Calendar
- Information on the Assessment of Biological Impact (ABI) Screen