The Oil & Gas Lease Sales map below shows parcels proposed to be offered for lease by the Bureau of Land Management. This interactive map shows current and upcoming lease sales and their conflicts with wildlife and natural areas. More information on upcoming leases is shown below the map.
Advice on how to use the map: Zoom in to see conservation conflicts. Click on parcels or conservation conflict areas for more information. Scroll through pop-ups for multiple overlapping areas by clicking on the right triangle/arrow.
June, 2020 Lease Sale (2nd Quarter Sale)
Environmental Assessment (posted 2/11/2020)
- The comment period for the June 2020 lease sale Environmental Assessment (EA) closes Thursday, March 12, 2020. Comments must be submitted through the Comment on Document>> links on the Wyoming Second Quarter 2020 Lease Sale ePlanning webpage. More information about the sale is available in the Press Release.
- According to the Press Release and document, BLM Wyoming plans to offer 135 parcels/ 169,751 acres. The parcels are in the Buffalo, Casper, Cody, Kemmerer, Newcastle, Pinedale, Rawlins, Rock Springs, and Worland Field Offices in Bighorn, Campbell, Carbon, Converse, Crook, Johnson, Lincoln, Natrona, Niobrara, Park, Sheridan, Sublette, Sweetwater, Uinta, Washakie, and Weston Counties.
- Conservation conflicts identified include:
- Chain Lakes Special Management Area/Area of Critical Environmental Concern
- Chain Lakes State Wildlife Habitat Management Area
- Agency proposed areas of Critical Environmental Concern (Fortification Creek, SSP Species)
- Citizen Proposed Wilderness (Bobcat Draw Badlands, Red Butte, Sheep Mtn.)
- Areas BLM identified as having wilderness characteristics
- Fifteen Mile Master Leasing Plan (MLP) Area
- Greater Sage-Grouse including BLM PHMA/State Core Areas
- Important areas for prairie dogs including potential black-footed ferret reintroduction areas.
- Crucial winter range for elk, moose, mule deer, and pronghorn
- Parturition (calving) areas for elk
- Priority landscapes for big game (2018 State Action Plans for SO 3362)
- According to the Press Release, 5 whole parcels and parts of 4 others were deleted from the sale list and 3 whole parcels and parts of 3 were deferred. Contact Alison Gallensky if you want more information about those parcels.
- EA Parcels Google Earth (kmz) | Zipped Shapefile (GIS)
- EA ABI Screen, a spreadsheet showing conflicts between the proposed parcels and important wildlife, wilderness and other resource values.
March 24, 2020 Lease Sale (1st Quarter Sale)
Sale Notice (posted 1/21/2020)
- Protests for the March 2020 Lease Sale must be received by 4:00 PM MST Thursday, February 20, 2020. There is important information on how to protest in the Sale Notice (pdf document) starting on page 10. More information about the sale and how to protest is available in the Press Release and on the Wyoming 2020 Lease Sale ePlanning website.
- According to the Press Release and documents, BLM Wyoming plans to offer 105 parcels / 118,292 acres. The parcels are in the Buffalo, Casper, Cody, Lander, Newcastle, Pinedale, Rawlins, Rock Springs and Worland Field Offices, in Bighorn, Campbell, Carbon, Converse, Jackson, Laramie, Niobrara, Park, Sheridan, Sublette, and Sweetwater Counties.
- Conservation conflicts identified include:
- Greater sage-grouse areas including core areas identified by Wyoming Game and Fish and Priority Habitat Management Areas including Sagebrush Focal Areas
- Important habitat for white-tailed and black-tailed prairie dogs
- Lands identified by BLM as possessing Wilderness Characteristics
- Chain Lakes SMA/ACEC and Historic Trails ACEC special management areas.
- Citizens’ Proposed Wilderness Areas:
- East Sand Dunes (with Alkali Basin)
- Honerycomb Buttes (incl. Harris Slough)
- Pinnacles (incl. Parnell Creek, Bush Rim, Alkalai Draw)
- Mule deer corridor priority areas including overlaps with the Baggs and Sublette (Red Desert to Hoback) corridor complexes.
- Crucial ranges (including winter ranges) for elk, moose, mule deer, and pronghorn.
- Parturition (calving) area for moose.
- Sale Notice parcels Google Earth (kmz) | Zipped Shapefile (GIS).
- Sale Notice ABI Screen, a spreadsheet showing conflicts between the proposed parcels and important wildlife, wilderness and other resource values.
- Wyoming Existing Oil and Gas Leases updated 12/19/2019: Google Earth kmz | zipped shapefile (red=Held by Production; purple=Not Held by Production)
- BLM Wyoming Oil & Gas Leasing Webpage
- Poster Map of Oil & Gas Development in Wyoming
- Archive of Wyoming Oil & Gas Lease Sale Screens
- Rocky Mountain Wild Oil and Gas Toolbox for Activists
- Rocky Mountain Wild Lease Sale Calendar
- Information on the Assessment of Biological Impact (ABI) Screen