The Oil & Gas Lease Sales map below shows parcels proposed to be offered for lease by the Bureau of Land Management. This interactive map shows current and upcoming lease sales and their conflicts with wildlife and natural areas. More information on upcoming leases is shown below the map.
Advice on how to use the map: Zoom in to see conservation conflicts. Click on parcels or conservation conflict areas for more information. Scroll through pop-ups for multiple overlapping areas by clicking on the right triangle/arrow.
BLM updated their ePlanning website in early June 2020. Some links below may no longer work. Visit the Wyoming Oil and Gas Leasing webpage for updated links.
December 15 – 17, 2020 Lease Sale (4th Quarter)
Sale Notice (dated 10/15/2020)
- The protest period for the December 2020 lease sale started October 15. Protests are due by 4:00 PM MT Sunday, November 15, 2020. There is important information about how to protest in the Sale Notice (pdf document) starting on page 9.
- There is more information about this sale on the 2020 Lease Sale Information ePlanning Website, on the 4th Quarter 2020 EA ePlanning webpage, and on the Wyoming Oil and Gas Leasing webpage.
- According to the Sale Notice, BLM Wyoming is proposing to offer 261 parcels/275,701.216 acres across the state. Parcels are proposed in Big Horn, Campbell, Carbon, Converse, Crook, Fremont, Hot Springs, Lincoln, Natrona, Niobrara, Park, Sheridan, Sweetwater, Uinta, Washakie, and Weston counties in every Field Office in Wyoming.
- This sale includes parcels analyzed in the December Environmental Assessment along with parcels analyzed earlier this year and temporarily deferred.
- Conservation conflicts for these parcels include:
- The Salt Creek Drainage BLM Area of Critical Environmental Concern
- The Historic Trails ACEC Special Management Area
- Lands identified by BLM as possessing Wilderness Characteristics
- Forest Service (National Grasslands) Inventoried Roadless Areas (H A Divide and Miller Hills)
- Citizen Proposed Wilderness Areas (Bobcat Draw Badlands, Lysite Badlands, Red Butte, and Sheep Mountain)
- Absaroka Front and Fifteen Mile Master Leasing Plan Areas
- Parcels adjacent to Wilderness Study Areas (possible small overlap with the Sheep Creek Wilderness Study Area)
- Greater sage-grouse (all parcels proposed are in greater sage-grouse habitat; only 150 acres are in Priority Habitat, the rest are in General Habitat Management Areas)
- Black-tailed and white-tailed prairie dogs (ACEC nominated habitat)
- Black-footed ferret potential reintroduction areas
- Baggs and Sublette (Red Desert to Hoback) mule deer migration corridor complexes
- Crucial winter range for elk, moose, mule deer, and pronghorn
- Human-powered Recreation Footprint 1/4-mile buffer identified by Outdoor Alliance
- Sale Notice Google Earth (kmz) | GIS (zipped shapefile)
- Sale Notice ABI Screen, a spreadsheet showing conflicts between the proposed parcels and important wildlife, wilderness and other resource values.
- Wyoming Existing Oil and Gas Leases updated 4/1/2020: Google Earth kmz | zipped shapefile (red=Held by Production; purple=Not Held by Production)
- BLM Wyoming Oil & Gas Leasing Webpage
- Poster Map of Oil & Gas Development in Wyoming
- Archive of Wyoming Oil & Gas Lease Sale Screens
- Rocky Mountain Wild Oil and Gas Toolbox for Activists
- Rocky Mountain Wild Lease Sale Calendar
- Information on the Assessment of Biological Impact (ABI) Screen