The Oil & Gas Lease Sales map below shows parcels proposed to be offered for lease by the Bureau of Land Management. This interactive map shows current and upcoming lease sales and their conflicts with wildlife and natural areas. More information on upcoming leases is shown below the map.
Advice on how to use the map: Zoom in to see conservation conflicts. Click on parcels or conservation conflict areas for more information. Scroll through pop-ups for multiple overlapping areas by clicking on the right triangle/arrow.
Week of September 16, 2019 Lease Sale (3rd Quarter Sale)
Environmental Assessment (posted 5/15/2019)
- Comments are due Saturday, June 15. Comments can be submitted through the comment link on the BLM Wyoming 3rd Quarter 2019 Lease Sale ePlanning web page. There is more information about the sale in the News Release (pdf document) and on the Wyoming Oil and Gas Lease Sale web page.
- According to the press release and documents, BLM Wyoming plans to offer 212 parcels/322,200 acres. The parcels are located in the Buffalo, Casper, Cody, Kemmerer, Lander, Newcastle, Pinedale, Rawlins, Rock Springs, and Worland Field Offices. There are parcels in Big Horn, Campbell, Carbon, Converse, Fremont, Hot Springs, Johnson, Laramie, Lincoln, Natrona, Park, Sublette, Sweetwater, and Washakie Counties.
- Conservation conflicts identified include overlaps with:
- Greater sage-grouse areas including lek buffers and core areas identified by Wyoming Game and Fish and Priority Habitat Management Areas including Sagebrush Focal Areas.
- Important habitat for white-tailed and black-tailed prairie dogs including potential areas for black-footed ferret reintroduction.
- Salt Creek Drainage Area of Critical Environmental Concern
- Lands identified by BLM as possessing Wilderness Characteristics
- Adobe Town identified as very rare or uncommon unique lands by Wyoming Wnvironmental Qualty Council
- Citizens’ Proposed Wilderness Areas: Adobe Town, Honeycombs, and Red Butte
- Absraoka Front (zone 1 boundary) and Fifteen Mile Master Leasing Plan areas
- Mule deer migration corridor complex sublette (red desert to hoback) and crucial winter and yearlong ranges for elk, moose, mule deer and pronghorn antelope
- Land within 10 mile of Bighorn Canyon National Recreation Area
- Environmental Assessment parcels (proposed for sale): Google Earth kmz | Zipped Shapefile
- Deferred or Deleted Environmental Assessment parcels (parcels and portions of parcels nominated but not proposed for sale): Google Earth kmz | Zipped Shapefile
- Environmental Assessment ABI Screen, a spreadsheet showing conflicts between the proposed parcels and important wildlife, wilderness and other resource values. Screen includes only parcels proposed for sale.
June 25 – 26, 2019 Lease Sale (2nd Quarter Sale)
Sale Notice (posted 4/25/2019)
- Protests must be received by 4:00 pm Saturday, May 25, 2019. Important information on how to protest is in the Sale Notice (pdf document) with additional information in the Press Release. Additional information and documents can be found on the ePlanning website for 2019 oil and gas lease sales documentation and on the ePlanning website for the 2nd Quarter 2019 Competitive Lease Sale.
- According to the press release, BLM Wyoming is proposing to offer 160 parcels/205,167 acres across the state. According to the Sale Notice and GIS data, BLM is proposing to offer parcels in the Buffalo, Casper, Kemmerer, Lander, Newcastle, Pinedale, Rawlins, Rock Springs, and Worland Field Offices (all Field Offices except for Cody). These parcels are in Bighorn, Campbell, Converse, Crook, Fremont, Goshen, Johnson, Laramie, Natrona, Niobrara, Platte, Sublette, Sweetwater, Uinta, and Washakie Counties.
- Conservation Conflicts identified include overlaps with:
- Important habitat for greater sage-grouse (including core areas and priority habitat management areas) and prairie dogs including white-tailed prairie dogs.
- Area of Critical Environmental Concern (Salt Creek Drainage and Historic Trails)
- Lands possessing wilderness characteristics (Alkalie Draw)
- Fifteen Mile Master Leasing Plan (MLP)
- Crucial ranges including winter range for elk, moose, mule deer, and pronghorn antelope.
- Migration routes for pronghorn antelope.
- Sale Notice Parcels: Google Earth (kmz) | Zipped Shapefile
- Sale Notice ABI Screen, a spreadsheet showing conflicts between the proposed parcels and important wildlife, wilderness and other resource values.
- Wyoming Existing Oil and Gas Leases updated 12/11/2018: Google Earth kmz | zipped shapefile (red=Held by Production; purple=Not Held by Production)
- BLM Wyoming Oil & Gas Leasing Webpage
- Poster Map of Oil & Gas Development in Wyoming
- Archive of Wyoming Oil & Gas Lease Sale Screens
- Rocky Mountain Wild Oil and Gas Toolbox for Activists
- Rocky Mountain Wild Lease Sale Calendar
- Information on the Assessment of Biological Impact (ABI) Screen