The Oil & Gas Lease Sales map below shows parcels proposed to be offered for lease by the Bureau of Land Management. This interactive map shows current and upcoming lease sales and their conflicts with wildlife and natural areas. More information on upcoming leases is shown below the map.
Advice on how to use the map: Zoom in to see conservation conflicts. Click on parcels or conservation conflict areas for more information. Scroll through pop-ups for multiple overlapping areas by clicking on the right triangle/arrow.
December 2018 Lease Sale (Week of 12/10-14/2018)
Lease Sale Notice (posted 10/25/2018)
- Protests must be received by 4:30 PM on Monday, November 5, 2018. Information on how to protest is available on the BLM Utah Oil and Gas Leasing webpage and in the Notice of Competitive Oil and Gas Internet-Based Lease Sale. Additional information about the sale is on the December 2018 Oil and Gas Lease Sale ePlanning website.
- According to the Notice, BLM is offering 105 parcels; 69 parcels/97,795.69 acres in the Green River District; 34 parcels/52,593.35 acres in the Canyon Country District; and 2 parcels/3,837.40 acres in the Color Country District.
- To comply with a Preliminary Injunction entered on September 21, 2018, by the United States District Court, District of Idaho (Western Watersheds Project v. BLM, No. 1:18-cv-00187-REB), this sale does not include 116 parcels that intersect with Greater Sage Grouse Priority and General Habitat Management Areas. Those parcels have been moved to the March 2018 lease sale.
- Significant conservation conflict overlaps include:
- Greater sage-grouse management opportunity area
- Black-footed ferret management area
- Colorado pikeminnow and razorback sucker critical habitat
- Mexican spotted owl critical habitat
- Graham’s penstemon proposed critical habitat and citizens’ nominated Area of Critical Environmental Concern (ACEC)
- White River penstemon proposed critical habitat
- Duchesne milkvetch and Graham’s beardtongue occurrences
- Book Cliffs, Lower Fish Creek and Three Corners State Wildlife Management Areas
- White-tailed prairie dog areas including active colonies
- Alkali Ridge Area of Critical Environmental Concern (ACEC)
- Lands with Wilderness Characteristics BLM Inventory Areas
- Lands with Wilderness Characteristics Citizens Inventory Areas
- Citizens’ proposed wilderness areas (Americas Red Rock Wilderness Act)
- Parcels adjacent to the Winter Ridge and Horseshoe Canyon (North) Wilderness Study Areas
- Parcels within 10 miles of Arches and of Canyonlands National Parks
- Parcels within 10 miles of Bears Ears (Indian Creek Unit), Canyon of the Ancients, and Hovenweep National Monument.
- Parcels within 10 miles of Glen Canyon National Recreation Area.
- Parcels within 1/4 mile of the human-powered recreational footprint identified by Outdoor Alliance
- Lease sale parcels Sale Notice: Google Earth kmz I zipped shapefile.
- ABI Screen, a spreadsheet showing conflicts between the proposed parcels and important wildlife, wilderness and other resource values.
- Utah Existing Oil and Gas Leases updated 10/1/2018: Google Earth kmz | zipped shapefile (red=Held by Production; purple=Not Held by Production)
- BLM Utah Oil & Gas Leasing Webpage
- Archive of Utah Oil & Gas Lease Sale Screens
- Rocky Mountain Wild Oil and Gas Toolbox for Activists
- Rocky Mountain Wild Lease Sale Calendar
- Information on the Assessment of Biological Impact (ABI) Screen