The Oil & Gas Lease Sales map below shows parcels proposed to be offered for lease by the Bureau of Land Management. This interactive map shows current and upcoming lease sales and their conflicts with wildlife and natural areas. More information on upcoming leases is shown below the map.
Advice on how to use the map: Zoom in to see conservation conflicts. Click on parcels or conservation conflict areas for more information. Scroll through pop-ups for multiple overlapping areas by clicking on the right triangle/arrow.
BLM updated their ePlanning website in early June 2020. Some links below may no longer work. Visit the BLM Utah Oil and Gas Lease Sale web page for updated links.
Week of September 28, 2020 Lease Sale
Environmental Assessment (posted 6/9/2020)
- The 30-day Environmental Assessment (EA) comment period ends Thursday, July 9, 2020. The EA and a link to the comment form are available on the 2020 Utah September Lease Sale ePlanning website (The link works best in Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge). More information is available in the Press Release and on the BLM Utah Oil and Gas Lease Sale web page.
- According to the press release and documents, BLM Utah is proposing to offer 77 parcels / 114,049.77 acres located in Juab, Sanpete, Sevier, Emery, Duchesne, Grand, Uintah and San Juan counties in the BLM’s Moab, Richfield, Vernal, Price, and Fillmore Field Offices.
- BLM Utah included 4 parcels / 4,376.5 acres previously scheduled for the June oil and gas lease sale in the September lease sale EA.
- Rocky Mountain Wild has prepared a screen showing conflicts between the proposed parcels and important wildlife, wilderness and other resource values. Conflicts identified include:
- Critical habitat for ESA listed Colorado River fish — Colorado pikeminnow and razorback sucker.
- Critical habitat for ESA listed Mexican spotted owl.
- Crucial winter habitat for elk, mule deer, and pronghorn.
- Areas important for white tailed-prairie dog
- Area of Critical Environmental Concern (Behind the Rocks ACEC)
- Areas proposed for wilderness in the Americas Red Rocks Wilderness Act
- Lands within 10-miles of National Parks (Arches, Canyonlands, and Capitol Reef)
- Lands within 10-miles of a National Monument (Bears Ears National Monument – Indian Creek Unit)
- Parcels adjacent to National Forest Roadless Areas
- Moab Master Leasing Plan
- Human-powered Recreation Footprint 1/4-mile buffer (from Outdoor Alliance)
- Lease Sale Parcels Environmental Assessment Google Earth (kmz) | Zipped shapefile (GIS)
- Lease Sale Parcels Environmental Assessment ABI Screen, a spreadsheet showing conflicts between the proposed parcels and important wildlife, wilderness and other resource values.
June 9, 2020 Lease Sale
According to the BLM Utah Oil and Gas Lease Sale web page: The oil and gas lease parcels that were originally scheduled to be identified in the Notice of Competitive Lease Sale and protest period for June 2020 have been incorporated into the September 2020 oil and gas lease sale.
- Utah Existing Oil and Gas Leases updated 6/1/2020: Google Earth kmz | zipped shapefile (red=Held by Production; purple=Not Held by Production)
- BLM Utah Oil & Gas Leasing Webpage
- Poster Map of Oil & Gas Development in Utah
- Archive of Utah Oil & Gas Lease Sale Screens
- Rocky Mountain Wild Oil and Gas Toolbox for Activists
- Rocky Mountain Wild Lease Sale Calendar
- Information on the Assessment of Biological Impact (ABI) Screen