The Oil & Gas Lease Sales map below shows parcels proposed to be offered for lease by the Bureau of Land Management. This interactive map shows current and upcoming lease sales and their conflicts with wildlife and natural areas. More information on upcoming leases is shown below the map.
Advice on how to use the map: Zoom in to see conservation conflicts. Click on parcels or conservation conflict areas for more information. Scroll through pop-ups for multiple overlapping areas by clicking on the right triangle/arrow.
June 20, 1019 Lease Sale
Scoping (Posted 1/30/2019)
- Comments are due Sunday, February 10, 2019. There is information about how to comment in the Press Release. Comments must be submitted through the BLM ePlanning site for each field office/district: Farmington Field Office, Pecos District Office, and Rio Puerco Field Office. Additonal information about the sale is available on the BLM New Mexico Oil and Gas Lease Sales web site.
- According to the press release and documents, NM BLM is proposing to offer 50 parcels/40,750 acres in New Mexico (with additional parcels in Oklahoma and Kansas). The parcels in New Mexico include 38 in Sandoval County, 2 in Rio Arriba County, 5 in Lea County, 2 in Chaves, and 3 in Eddy County.
- One parcel is within 10-miles of the Carlsbad Caverns National Park.
- Several parcels are within the proposed Chihuahuan Desert ACEC: Desert Rivers ACEC.
- Lease Sale Scoping ABI Screen, a spreadsheet showing conflicts between the proposed parcels and important wildlife, wilderness and other resource values.
- Lease Sale Parcels Scoping: Google Earth kmz | zipped shapefile
March 28, 2019 Lease Sale
Lease Sale Notice (posted 2/11/2019)
- Protests are due by close of business Wednesday, February 20, 2019. Information about the proposed sale and important information about how to protest is available in the Lease Sale Notice (pdf format). More information is available on the the March 2019 Competitive Oil and Gas Lease e-planning website and in the Press Release. General information about leasing is available on the BLM New Mexico Oil and Gas Lease Sale webpage.
- According to the Press Release and GIS Data, NM BLM is proposing to offer 46 parcels/14,009 acres with 37 parcels/10,656 acres in New Mexico and the rest in Oklahoma. The parcels in New Mexico consist of 11 in Sandoval County, 11 in San Juan County, 7 in McKinley County, 1 in Rio Arriba County, 4 in Lea County, and 3 in Eddy County.
- Conflicts identified include parcels adjacent to:
- Torrejon Fossil Fauna Area Of Critical Environmental Concern
- Bisti/De-Na-Zin Designated Wilderness Area
- Parcels within 10 miles of Chaco Culture National Historical Park were deferred from this sale. Parcels still proposed to be sold include parcels just outside the 10 mile buffer.
- Lease Sale Parcels Sale Notice (New Mexico and Oklahoma): Google Earth kmz | zipped shapefile
- Lease Sale Notice ABI Screen (New Mexico only), a spreadsheet showing conflicts between the proposed parcels and important wildlife, wilderness and other resource values.
- New Mexico Existing Oil and Gas Leases updated 10/1/2018: Google Earth kmz | zipped shapefile (red=Held by Production; purple=Not Held by Production)
- BLM New Mexico Oil & Gas Leasing Webpage
- Poster Map of Oil & Gas Development in New Mexico
- Archive of New Mexico Oil & Gas Lease Information
- Rocky Mountain Wild Oil and Gas Toolbox for Activists
- Rocky Mountain Wild Lease Sale Calendar
- Information on the Assessment of Biological Impact (ABI) Screen