The Oil & Gas Lease Sales map below shows parcels proposed to be offered for lease by the Bureau of Land Management. This interactive map shows current and upcoming lease sales and their conflicts with wildlife and natural areas. More information on upcoming leases is shown below the map.
Advice on how to use the map: Zoom in to see conservation conflicts. Click on parcels or conservation conflict areas for more information. Scroll through pop-ups for multiple overlapping areas by clicking on the right triangle/arrow.
March 2019 Lease Sale (Week of 3/12/2019)
Scoping (posted 10/11/2018)
- According to the GIS data available, MT BLM is proposing to offer 240 parcels/124,882 acres including:
- 7 parcels/6786 acres in the Havre Field Office (Blaine and Toole County)
- and 233 parcels/118097 acres in the Miles City Field Office (Big Horn, Carter, Custer, Dawson, Fallon, Powder River, Richland, Roosevelt and Wibaux County)
- Scoping comments are due Thursday, October 25, 2018.
- More information and maps of nominated parcels are available here.
- Lease Sale Parcels Scoping: Google Earth kmz | zipped shapefile
- Conflicts identified include overlaps with:
- Area of Critical Environmental Concern
- Greater sage-grouse priority, general and other habitat management areas
- Piping plover critical habitat
- Lease Sale Scoping ABI Screen, a spreadsheet showing conflicts between the proposed parcels and important wildlife, wilderness and other resource values.
December 2018 Lease Sale (12/11/2018)
Environmental Assessment (posted 8/10/2018)
- Comments on the Environmental Assessment (EA) are due August 24, 2018. Information about the proposed sale and how to comment is available on the BLM Montana Oil and Gas Lease Sale webpage and on the December 2018 Competitive Oil and Gas Lease e-planning website.
- According to the EA, MT BLM is proposing to offer 100 parcels and part of one additional parcel in the Billings, Butte, Dillon, Glasgow, Havre, Lewistown and Miles City Field Offices.
- Parcels proposed: Google Earth kmz | zipped shapefile (yellow = sale, green = deferred, blue = partial deferral)
- Conflicts identified include:
- Kevin Rim Area of Critical Environmental Concern
- overlaps with important areas for greater sage-grouse including priority habitat management areas
- private conservation land (not TNC)
- Ruby Mountain Wilderness Study Area
- ABI Screen, a spreadsheet showing conflicts between the proposed parcels and important wildlife, wilderness and other resource values.
Scoping (posted 7/5/2018)
September 2018 Lease Sale (9/11/2018)
The 9/11/2018 lease sale managed by the Montana BLM State Office includes parcels in North Dakota and South Dakota. No parcels are being offered in Montana. More information is available on the ePlanning North Dakota September 2018 Lease Sale and ePlanning South Dakota September 2018 Lease Sale web pages.
June 2018 Lease Sale (6/12/2018)
The BLM Montana State Office is deferring all 223 nominated parcels from the June 12, 2018 Competitive Oil and Gas Lease Sale. For more information, read BLM’s Dear Reader Letter on the deferral.
Determination of NEPA Adequacy: Parcels are proposed for sale in the Miles City Field Office. This spreadsheet lists the nominated parcels and indicates which are in the proposed action. The DNA and additional information is available here. Lease Sale Parcels DNA: Google Earth kmz | zipped shapefile (Yellow = sale). ABI Screen, a spreadsheet showing conflicts between the proposed parcels and important wildlife, wilderness and other resource values.
Scoping: Information and maps of nominated parcels are available here. ABI Screen, a spreadsheet showing conflicts between the proposed parcels and important wildlife, wilderness and other resource values.
- Montana Existing Oil and Gas Leases updated 6/1/2018: Google Earth kmz | zipped Shapefile (red=Held by Production; purple=Not Held by Production)
- BLM Montana Oil & Gas Leasing Webpage
- Archive of Montana Oil & Gas Lease Sale Screens
- Rocky Mountain Wild Oil and Gas Toolbox for Activists
- Rocky Mountain Wild Lease Sale Calendar
- Information on the Assessment of Biological Impact (ABI) Screen