The Oil & Gas Lease Sales map below shows parcels proposed to be offered for lease by the Bureau of Land Management. This interactive map shows current and upcoming lease sales and their conflicts with wildlife and natural areas. More information on upcoming leases is shown below the map.
Advice on how to use the map: Zoom in to see conservation conflicts. Click on parcels or conservation conflict areas for more information. Scroll through pop-ups for multiple overlapping areas by clicking on the right triangle/arrow.
June 11, 2019 Lease Sale
Analysis Documents (EA/DNA) (posted 2/15/2019)
- Comments are due by 4:30 pm Monday, March 4, 2019.
- Comments must be submitted electronically through the link on
the BLM ePlanning web page for the June 2019 Oil and Gas Lease Sale. website. Click the Document tab (on the left of the page)
then the “Comment on Document” button to submit your comment(s). BLM Utah has responded to a query from Rocky Mountain Wild that the information on how to comment in the 2/15 Press Release is incorrect.
- The Environmental Assessment (EA) and Determination of NEPA Adequacy (DNA) documents are available for download from the BLM ePlanning web page for the June 2019 Oil and Gas Lease Sale. Additional information is available on the BLM Utah Oil and Gas Lease Sales web page.
- According to the Press Release and documents, BLM Utah is proposing to offer 8 parcels/11,588 acres in lands managed by the Canyon Country and West Desert Districts. Parcels are proposed to be offered in Sevier County in the Richfield Field Office and in Box Elder County in the Salt Lake Field Office.
- Conflicts identified included a parcel within 1/4 mile of the human-powered recreation footprint identified by the Outdoor Alliance. That parcel overlays sandstone hills with attractive rock outcrops near Richfield Utah.
- Lease sale DNA/EA parcels: Google Earth (kmz) | Zipped shapefile
- Lease sale DNA/EA parcels ABI Screen, a spreadsheet showing conflicts between the proposed parcels and important wildlife, wilderness and other resource values.
March 26-27, 2019 Lease Sale
Sale Notice (posted 1/30/2019)
- Protests are due by 4:30 pm Friday, March 1, 2019. Important information about how to protest is available in the Sale Notice. More information about the sale is on the BLM Utah Oil and Gas Leasing webpage with additional information on the Press Release.
- According to the press release and sale notice, BLM Utah is proposing to offer 156 parcels/217,476 acres. 108 parcels/166,025 acres \in the Green River District; 19 parcels/32,067.42 acres in the Canyon Country District; and 29 parcels/9,383.382 acres in the West Desert District.
- Significant conservation conflict overlaps identified:
- Designated critical habitat for Colorado pikeminnow.
- Proposed critical habitat and occurrences for rare and endangered plants (Duchesne mikkvetch, Graham’s beardtongue, and White River penstemon).
- Important habitat for black footed ferret, greater sage-grouse (including Priority Habitat Management Areas), and white-tailed prairie dogs.
- Areas of Critical Environmental Concern (ACECs – Central Pacific Railroad Grade, Nine Mile, Red Creek Watershed)
- Lands identified by BLM and by citizens groups as having Wilderness Characteristics (LWC)
- Parcels proposed for Wilderness designation in America’s Red Rock Wilderness Act
- Parcels adjacent to BLM Wilderness Study Areas (WSAs)
- Parcels adjacent to Forest Service Roadless Areas
- Parcels within 10 miles of National Monuments (Bears Ears Shash Jaa Unit, Canyon of the Ancients, Dinosaur, and Hovenweep)
- Parcels within the proposed San Juan Master Leasing Plan (MLP) area
- Parcels within 1/4 mile of the Human-powered Recreation Footprint identified by Outdoor Alliance
- Sale Notice parcels: Google Earth (kmz) | Zipped shapefile
- Sale Notice ABI Screen, a spreadsheet showing conflicts between the proposed parcels and important wildlife, wilderness and other resource values.
- Utah Existing Oil and Gas Leases updated 4/11/2019: Google Earth kmz | zipped shapefile (red=Held by Production; purple=Not Held by Production)
- BLM Utah Oil & Gas Leasing Webpage
- Poster Map of Oil & Gas Development in Utah
- Archive of Utah Oil & Gas Lease Sale Screens
- Rocky Mountain Wild Oil and Gas Toolbox for Activists
- Rocky Mountain Wild Lease Sale Calendar
- Information on the Assessment of Biological Impact (ABI) Screen