The Oil & Gas Lease Sales map below shows parcels proposed to be offered for lease by the Bureau of Land Management. This interactive map shows current and upcoming lease sales and their conflicts with wildlife and natural areas. More information on upcoming leases is shown below the map.
Advice on how to use the map: Zoom in to see conservation conflicts. Click on parcels or conservation conflict areas for more information. Scroll through pop-ups for multiple overlapping areas by clicking on the right triangle/arrow.
September 9 – 11, 2019 Lease Sale
Sale Notice (posted 7/25/2019)
- Protest must be received by Monday, August 26, 2019. The Sale Notice (pdf document) has important information on how to protest on page 9. More information and documents about the same are available on the BLM Utah Oil and Gas Lease Sale web page with additional information on the ePlanning website for the September 2019 Sale.
- According to the Sale Notice, BLM Utah is proposing to offer 146 parcels / 183,520.177 acres with 81 parcels / 85,047.147 acres in the Color Country District, 33 parcels / 55,248.93 acres in the Canyon Country District, 25 parcels / 37,385.90 acres in the Green River District, and 7 parcels / 5,838.20 acres in the Salt Lake Field Office.
- This sale includes parcels originally proposed for sale in December 2018 and in March and June 2019. Primarily this is to allow a longer comment period for parcels that overlap greater sage-grouse habitat.
- Rocky Mountain Wild has prepared a screen showing conflicts between the proposed parcels and important wildlife, wilderness and other resource values. Conflicts identified include:
- Important areas for greater sage-grouse including management areas, winter habitat, and areas within 0.6 miles of leks identified by the Utah Department of Wildlife and priority habitat management areas identified by BLM.
- Important areas for white-tailed prairie dogs.
- Land adjacent to the Squaw/Papoose Canyon Wilderness Study Area
- Parcels within 10 miles of Arches National Park and Bears Ears (Shash Jaa Unit), Canyon of the Ancients, and Hovenweep National Monuments.
- Overlap with Red Creek Watershed Area of Critical Environmental Concern (ACEC).
- Areas proposed as Wilderness in the Americas Red Rock Wilderness Act.
- Lands identified as having Wilderness Characteristics by BLM and by citizens’ inventories.
- State Wildlife Management Areas.
Parcels in the Moab Master Leasing Plan (MLP) Area and the San Juan Proposed MLP.
- Parcels within the Human-powered Recreation Footprint 1/4-mile buffer identified by Outdoor Alliance.
- Lease Sale Notice parcels: Google Earth (kmz) | Zipped shapefile
- Lease Sale Notice parcels ABI Screen, a spreadsheet showing conflicts between the proposed parcels and important wildlife, wilderness and other resource values.
Environmental Assessments (posted 5/30/2019): Lease Sale EA parcels: Google Earth (kmz) | Zipped shapefile; Lease Sale EA parcels ABI Screen, a spreadsheet showing conflicts between the proposed parcels and important wildlife, wilderness and other resource values.
- Utah Existing Oil and Gas Leases updated 6/3/2019: Google Earth kmz | zipped shapefile (red=Held by Production; purple=Not Held by Production)
- BLM Utah Oil & Gas Leasing Webpage
- Poster Map of Oil & Gas Development in Utah
- Archive of Utah Oil & Gas Lease Sale Screens
- Rocky Mountain Wild Oil and Gas Toolbox for Activists
- Rocky Mountain Wild Lease Sale Calendar
- Information on the Assessment of Biological Impact (ABI) Screen